With back-to-back World Poker Tour titles already under his belt in 2015, Anthony Zinno could be excused for coasting on his laurels for a little while – but he’s been anything but complacent since taking his third career WPT title at the LA Poker Classic in early March.
Zinno took down a High Roller title at Bay 101 in lieu of a third straight WPT title, a win that didn’t even earn him POY points, but his recent trip to the Seminole Hard Rock in Hollywood, Florida led to another notch on his belt for 2015 as he took over the lead in the 2015 BLUFF Player of the Year race.
A $2,200 Six-Handed prelim during the SHRPS saw players like Joe Kuether, Jonathan Duhamel and Will Failla make deep runs, but it would be Zinno and 2013 WSOP Main Event Champion who’d eventually play heads-up for the title. Zinno fell just short of the title, but the runner-up finish was enough to push Zinno past Dzmitry Urbanovich, Nick Petrangelo and Steve O’Dwyer for the top spot.
Zinno is the third player to clear 600 BLUFF POY points so far in 2015, and he’s one of five players with over 500 points in the first third of the year. By comparison, both Dominik Panka and Mike McDonald slightly outpaced Zinno by this point in 2014, but no one else had cleared 500 POY points either.
It’s still far too early to tell, considering Dan Colman’s run from out of nowhere to the 2014 BLUFF POY crown, but the results so far look to point towards a tight race in the months to come.
Speaking of the 2014 race, only one player who was in the top 20 at this point a year ago who’s found his way back is Kuether. A model of consistency, Kuether moves up for the second straight week with a ninth place finish in that very same SHRPS Six-Handed event, leapfrogging Scott Seiver into seventh place.
The rest of the top 20 remained at status quo this week, but upcoming action surrounding the end of Season XIII for the WPT and Season 11 on the EPT is sure to change that in a hurry in the weeks to come.
2015 BLUFF Player of the Year Standings (as of April 22)
- Anthony Zinno – 636.90 (+3)
- Dzmitry Urbanovich – 605.13 (-1)
- Nick Petrangelo – 601.74 (-1)
- Steve O’Dwyer – 561.56 (-1)
- Taylor Paur – 524.14 (-)
- Tom Marchese – 470.00 (-)
- Joe Kuether – 450.12 (+1)
- Scott Seiver – 432.16 (-1)
- Jose Montes – 427.25 (-)
- Atanas Kavrakov – 422.59 (-)
- Ivan Luca – 420.20 (-)
- Stephen Chidwick – 417.88 (-1)
- Yuguang Li – 411.75 (-)
- Jean Montury – 406.32 (-)
- Andreas Samuelsson – 373.00 (-)
- Kevin Schulz – 360.00 (-)
- Pratyush Buddiga – 353.80 (-)
- Alexander Trevallion – 331.60 (-)
- Marc Etienne McLaughlin – 328.30 (-)
- Sorel Mizzi – 311.28 (-)
Dropped from Rankings: None
Latest posts by Tim Fiorvanti (see all)
- Things Are Getting Real for Joe McKeehen on the Thunderdome Stage - July 14, 2015
- Justin Schwartz Seeks End to Dark Days with Deep Main Event Run - July 14, 2015
- Pierre Neuville Lives Post-Retirement Poker Dreams to the Fullest - July 13, 2015
- Moneymaker Legend Grows as Bruce Peery Takes WSOP Main Event Lead - July 12, 2015
- Justin Bonomo Chips Up, Busts His Friends Deep in WSOP Main Event - July 12, 2015