The first of three starting days for the 2013 Aussie Millions Main Event wrapped up early Monday morning with Brian Payne sitting atop the leaderboard. Payne topped all 70 Day 1A survivors with 299,900 chips.
The Day 1A field consisted of 156 players, a small increase over last year when 153 players entered.
While Payme flirted with the 300,000 chip mark towards the end of the day, only one other player managed to bag up more than 200,000. Phillip Willcocks finished with 208,400.
Former online poker standout James “AndyMcLeod” Obst played the final half of the day at the same table as Payne but managed to finish with 156,700, good enough for a top five chip stack.
It wasn’t a good day for former champions. David Gorr, who won the event in 2011, and reigning champ Oliver Speidel both lasted a little more than two levels. Following his elimination Speidel sent out the following tweet.
“Busted ;( Brutal 2 hours where I lost pot after pot after pot. Got my last 3k in with aq vs aa. Gotta get outta here!! #devastated”
Brian Townsend was also eliminated on Sunday.
Top Ten Chip Counts
- Brian Payne – 299,900
- Phillip Willcocks – 208,400
- Kevin Rabichow – 183,900
- Mark McQuinn – 176,600
- James Obst – 156,700
- Ayaz Mahmood – 154,700
- Billy Jordanou – 147,000
- Raj Ramakrishnan – 127,300
- Daniel Neilson – 93,900
- Micah Raskin – 93,000
Latest posts by Lance Bradley (see all)
- Bated Breath: Daniel Negreanu On the Verge of the November Nine - July 14, 2015
- Roommates Chad Power and Chris Brand Sharing Main Event Success - July 13, 2015
- Sports Reporter Jeff Platt Back in the WSOP Main Event Spotlight - July 11, 2015
- In For a Penny: Tommy Yates Hopes to Keep WSOP Main Event Run Going - July 11, 2015
- Akash Malik Hoping to Represent India Come November - July 10, 2015