We’re just a few days away from the start of the Aussie Million Main Event, but even before that tournament and several major High Rollers get underway in Melbourne the series has already begun to make its impact on the 2014 BLUFF Player of the Year race.
The top five spots in the 2014 BLUFF POY race remain the same as they were a week ago, but Joe Kuether inched up a spot from eighth to seventh with his first cash at the 2014 Aussie Millions. The biggest benefactor from that series so far, however, has been Mustapha Kanit.
After kicking off the series by chopping the opening event heads-up, having outlasted more than 1,300 players, Kanit entered Event 4 at the Aussie Millions the next day. The Italian then topped the 494 player field for that Six-Max No Limit Hold’em event, giving him back-to-back wins and a spot in the top 10 early in the 2014 BLUFF POY race.
The other movement in the race comes from the France Poker Series in Deauville, the prelim events leading up to the EPT Main Event there. Niels van Leeuwen earned just his third recorded tournament cash and made it count in the FPS Deauville Main Event, earning the victory and $240,000 to put himself 12th in the BLUFF POY race.
Simon Deadman jumps to 15th this week, with his second six-figure runner-up finish of 2014. After finishing second in the Genting Poker Series Nottingham Main Event three weeks ago, Deadman did the same in the FPS Deauville High Roller. He finished second to Kamel Tir, the fourth and final debut in this week’s top 20, who rounds out that list after winning $179,173 Monday evening.
This week will see the WPT Borgata Winter Poker Open and EPT Deauville play out, and those tournaments coupled with what’s going on at the Aussie Million could rapidly change the landscape of the 2014 BLUFF POY race in its earliest stages.
2014 BLUFF Player of the Year Standings (as of January 29)
- Dominik Panka – 400.00 (-)
- Mike McDonald – 340.00 (-)
- Vanessa Selbst – 306.00 (-)
- Jacob Schindler – 282.00 (-)
- Fabian Quoss – 264.10 (-)
- Alex Bilokur – 240.00 (-)
- Joe Kuether – 232.40 (+1)
- Tyler Morris – 231.00 (-1)
- Mustapha Kanit – 229.08 (NR)
- Alexander Condon – 226.28 (-1)
- Matt Glantz – 225.90 (-1)
- Niels van Leeuwen – 220.00 (NR)
- Greg Merson – 217.40 (-2)
- Isaac Baron – 200.00 (-2)
- Simon Deadman – 193.90 (NR)
- Buyanjargal Bold – 190.00 (-3)
- Tiberu-florian Georgescu – 187.00 (-3)
- Georgios Karakousis – 184.46 (-3)
- Mike Leah – 183.20 (-3)
- Kamel Tir – 182.00 (NR)
Dropped from Rankings: Madis Muur (17th), Dan Shak (18th), Rep Porter (19th), Ole Schemion (20th)
Latest posts by Tim Fiorvanti (see all)
- Things Are Getting Real for Joe McKeehen on the Thunderdome Stage - July 14, 2015
- Justin Schwartz Seeks End to Dark Days with Deep Main Event Run - July 14, 2015
- Pierre Neuville Lives Post-Retirement Poker Dreams to the Fullest - July 13, 2015
- Moneymaker Legend Grows as Bruce Peery Takes WSOP Main Event Lead - July 12, 2015
- Justin Bonomo Chips Up, Busts His Friends Deep in WSOP Main Event - July 12, 2015