Just over a year ago at the EPT Grand Final, Dan Smith put together one of the strongest tournament runs in recent memory, winning three €5,000 tournaments in less than a week. Those three wins helped to catapult him into the spotlight as part of a year in which Smith would win over $3.5 million and finish second in the BLUFF Player of the Year race.
Smith is off to a strong start once again in Monte Carlo, taking the chiplead at the end of Day 1A of the €10,000 Main Event. The Main Event is kicking off the series this year at the EPT Grand Final, with 10 days of tournaments including a €100,000 High Roller, a €25,000 High Roller and several other €5,000 and €10,000 buy-in events.
The Day 1A turnout was lower than average, with 108 players entering by the close of registration Monday. There were 271 players on Day 1A in 2012, with the total field swelling to 665. Mohsin Charania won his first major title and €1,350,000 in the Season 8 EPT Grand Final Main Event.
Freddy Deeb finished the night in third place, well within striking distance of the lead. Jake Cody and current 2013 BLUFF Player of the Year race leader Paul Volpe also ended the night in the top ten. Ole Schemion, Barry Greenstein, Mike Watson, Justin Bonomo and Isaac Haxton are also among the 53 players who bagged chips at the end of Day 1A.
The same can’t be said for Jonathan Duhamel, Marvin Rettenmaier, Vanessa Rousso, Sorel Mizzi and Mike McDonald, among others, who failed to escape the opening day of the tournament.
Play will resume at 12 pm local time (6 am ET) in Monte Carlo. Here are the top 10 chip counts after Day 1A of the 2013 PokerStars and Monte Carlo Casino EPT Grand Final.
- Dan Smith – 136,500
- Pablo Fernandez – 135,900
- Freddy Deeb – 133,900
- Arlo Dotson – 127,100
- Jake Cody – 119,000
- El Khazen Youssef – 111,700
- Paul Volpe – 110,800
- Jan Bendik – 108,900
- Dmitrii Grinenko – 108,100
- Ignat Liviu – 98,800
Latest posts by Tim Fiorvanti (see all)
- Things Are Getting Real for Joe McKeehen on the Thunderdome Stage - July 14, 2015
- Justin Schwartz Seeks End to Dark Days with Deep Main Event Run - July 14, 2015
- Pierre Neuville Lives Post-Retirement Poker Dreams to the Fullest - July 13, 2015
- Moneymaker Legend Grows as Bruce Peery Takes WSOP Main Event Lead - July 12, 2015
- Justin Bonomo Chips Up, Busts His Friends Deep in WSOP Main Event - July 12, 2015