The 100th European Poker Tour Main Event began Thursday afternoon in Barcelona with fanfare that also celebrated the launch of the EPT’s 11th season, and the Day 1A action at the tables did not disappoint.
Over eight levels of poker 475 players played down to 279, and the chipleader in the clubhouse is Michael Mizrachi. As has been his M.O. in a great many tournaments in the past, Mizrachi got off to a quick start and no one was able to slow him down for long for the rest of the day. Mizrachi’s 186,600 puts him just ahead of Charlie Combes (172,400) and Dmitry Yurasov (163,100). Yurasov, who finished third in the EPT Prague High Roller and fifth in the EPT Vienna High Roller last season, hopes to add some main tour success.
Marc-Andre Ladouceur, Max Pescatori, Bryn Kenney, Johnny Lodden, Dan Shak and Ole Schemion are just a few of the other players who managed to bag chips at the end of the night. Defending champion Tom Middleton wasn’t so lucky, falling out midway through Day 1A of his title defense.
Day 1A of this tournament drew 518 in 2013, and the field eventually reached 1,234 – the biggest turnout ever for an EPT Barcelona Main Event. A large turnout is expected for Day 1B Friday, but they’ve set a high bar for themselves.
Day 1B action gets underway at 12 pm CEST (6 am EST), and they’ll play eight levels before they’ll be allowed to advance to play with those who advanced Thursday night.
EPT100 Barcelona Main Event – End of Day 1A Chip Counts
- Michael Mizrachi – 186,500
- Charlie Combes – 172,400
- Dmitry Yurasov – 163,100
- Maksim Semisoshenko – 149,000
- Marko Neumann – 146,200
- Umberto Vitagliano – 142,000
- Ori Miller – 140,000
- Andreas Eriksson – 139,000
- Bryn Kenney – 129,000
- Jose Goncalves Pinheiro – 122,000
Latest posts by Tim Fiorvanti (see all)
- Things Are Getting Real for Joe McKeehen on the Thunderdome Stage - July 14, 2015
- Justin Schwartz Seeks End to Dark Days with Deep Main Event Run - July 14, 2015
- Pierre Neuville Lives Post-Retirement Poker Dreams to the Fullest - July 13, 2015
- Moneymaker Legend Grows as Bruce Peery Takes WSOP Main Event Lead - July 12, 2015
- Justin Bonomo Chips Up, Busts His Friends Deep in WSOP Main Event - July 12, 2015