Day 1A of the PokerStars.net European Poker Tour (EPT) Deauville Main Event was a hometown affair, with French players positively dominating the Day 1A field. Of the top ten chip stacks at the end of the day, eight of them were French, with only one Brazilian and one Polish player sneaking into the top of the counts. Frenchman Guillaume De La Gorce leads the pack with 196,800 and fellow countrymen Bruno Launais and Julien Muel round out the top three with 185,900 and 183,100 respectively.
An impressive 419 runners came out for Day 1A of play in the €5,300 buy-in event at the Casino Barriere, which puts the tournament on pace to eclipse last year’s turnout of 768 runners. This event will also have a new champion, as last year’s winner Jake Cody was eliminated late in the Day 1A action in a four-way all-in preflop confrontation. Cody’s pocket nines couldn’t compete with Angelo Magro’s KK, so he hit the rail with just a few minutes to go in the last level of the day. Other notable Day 1 eliminations include Alexia Portal, Team PokerStars Pros John Duthie and Vicky Coren, as well as Antony Lellouche.
There are several other notable names who did manage to survive the day, including Antoine Saout, Steven Van Zadelhoff, Nikolai Losev, Leo Margets, Praz Bansi, James Mitchell, and Remy Biechel.
Day 1B of play is set to get underway on Tuesday and the tournament staff is expecting an even bigger turnout than Day 1A. Team PokerStars Pros Liv Boeree and Daniel Negreanu are just two of the players scheduled to take to the felt.
Here are the top ten chip counts from the end of Day 1A:
1. Guillaume De La Gorce – France – 196,800
2. Bruno Launais – France – 185,900
3. Julien Muel – France – 183,100
4. Gerome Guitteau – France – 168,600
5. Pedro Mendes Muller – Brazil – 166,300
6. Nicolas Babel – France – 164,100
7. Pierre Calamusa – France – 154,300
8. Jose Furtado – France – 143,600
9. Rafal Arendt – Poland – 142,900
10. Ancil Faiwel Dickstein – France – 128,300
Latest posts by Jessica Welman (see all)
- Tournament Tracker: Weinraub, Baldwin Triumph on the West Coast - May 18, 2012
- WPT Unveils First Half of Season XI Schedule - May 16, 2012
- POY: The Calm Before the Summer Storm - May 15, 2012
- Tournament Tracker: Serock’s Aruba Win & IPT Grand Final Crowds - May 11, 2012
- WSOP: ESPN Unveils TV Schedule, WSOP Announces Improved Stream - May 10, 2012