The first signs of a coming storm in the 2014 BLUFF Player of the Year race arrived this week, with five different players improving their standing in an ever-tightening race.
James Calderaro’s move was the most significant, with the 2014 WPT Lucky Hearts Open champion cracking the top five this week. Calderaro earned his fifth cash of the year, all of which have come on the World Poker Tour. His 76th place finish in the Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown is the worst finish of Calderaro’s five cashes so far, which include his win, a second place finish in Jacksonville and a 10th place result in Sacramento.
Joe Kuether also secured himself a cash at the Seminole Hard Rock Hollywood, albeit a 159th place finish. Things are so bunched together in the middle, however, that that result pushed him up three spots to 11th. To put how close things are into perspective, the three players below Kuether in 12th-14th are separated by less than a quarter of a point, with Oleksii Khoroshenin less than a point behind them in 15th.
Nipun Java’s 181st place cash in a $160 event at the Bike this week earned him 2.5 points and a three spot jump to 12th this week, in fact, further showing how little room there is between players in the middle of the top 20. Alexander Condon’s final table in a Venetian Deep Stack event bumped him three spots to 13th, .16 points behind Java.
Keven Stammen rounds out the week’s biggest movers, jumping two spots to 18th after a cash of his own at the Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown. Further results from that tournament, which ends Wednesday night, will certainly have their effect on the top 20 next week.
2014 BLUFF Player of the Year Standings (As of April 16)
- Dominik Panka – 667.04 (-)
- Mike McDonald – 646.00 (-)
- James Carroll – 467.60 (-)
- Mike Leah – 453.55 (-)
- James Calderaro – 403.20 (+2)
- Ami Barer – 401.73 (-1)
- Eugene Katchalov – 401.40 (-1)
- Dylan Wilkerson – 365.05 (-1)
- Jacob Schindler – 364.20 (-1)
- Fabian Quoss – 359.10 (-1)
- Joe Kuether – 352.80 (+3)
- Jonathan Gaviao – 350.73 (-1)
- Nipun Java – 350.70 (+3)
- Alexander Condon – 350.54 (+3)
- Oleksii Khoroshenin – 349.55 (-3)
- Simon Deadman – 341.75 (-3)
- Sotirios Koutoupas – 336.25 (-2)
- Keven Stammen – 322.85 (+2)
- Joseph Mckeehen – 317.49 (-1)
- Oliver Price – 309.00 (-1)
Dropped from Rankings: None
Latest posts by Tim Fiorvanti (see all)
- Things Are Getting Real for Joe McKeehen on the Thunderdome Stage - July 14, 2015
- Justin Schwartz Seeks End to Dark Days with Deep Main Event Run - July 14, 2015
- Pierre Neuville Lives Post-Retirement Poker Dreams to the Fullest - July 13, 2015
- Moneymaker Legend Grows as Bruce Peery Takes WSOP Main Event Lead - July 12, 2015
- Justin Bonomo Chips Up, Busts His Friends Deep in WSOP Main Event - July 12, 2015