Somewhere in Poland Dzmitry Urbanovich is watching the 2015 World Series of Poker with envy. Still just 19 years old and unable to play, the Polish poker pro’s BLUFF Player of the Year lead is slipping from his grasp as a number of players make big runs in Las Vegas.
During the first four weeks of the WSOP nobody has made a bigger move toward taking over the top spot than Paul Volpe. Volpe sits fourth overall with 771.9 points thanks to five cashes at the WSOP worth a total of 410.1 POY points, the bulk of which comes from two runner-up finishes in $10,000 buy-in Championship events (Heads-Up No Limit Hold’em & Pot Limit Hold’em).
Volpe’s rise continued this week with another final table appearance. He finished sixth in the $10,000 Six Max No Limit Hold’em event. His rise into the top five came bumped Erik Seidel from fourth to fifth. The Poker Hall of Famer has three cashes this summer but none since June 16.
The two players directly behind Urbanovich, Anthony Zinno and Nick Petrangelo, did not cash since the last update and maintain respective point totals of 804.94 and 793.09.
Urbanovich isn’t the only POY contender not playing WSOP events. Steve O’Dwyer, who sits sixth, has yet to arrive in Las Vegas. He has one small cash since the WSOP started though – all the way over in Macau where he finished 57th in the Asia-Pacific Poker Tour Macau Main Event.
Other big movers in the top ten this week include Joe Kuether and Ivan Luca. Kuether, who was 15th last week, jumped into seventh this week after winning a $1,000 buy-in event at the Venetian Deep Stack Extravaganza. Ivan Luca did Argentina proud this week by winning a $1,000 No Limit Hold’em WSOP event to go from outside of the top 20 to eighth overall.
2015 BLUFF Player of the Year Standings (as of June 24)
- Dzmitry Urbanovich – 888.53 (-)
- Anthony Zinno – 804.94 (-)
- Nick Petrangelo – 793.09 (-1)
- Paul Volpe – 771.90 (+2)
- Erik Seidel – 769.36 (-1)
- Steve O’Dwyer – 736.46 (-1)
- Joe Kuether – 732.06 (+8)
- Ivan Luca – 727.45 (NR)
- Stephen Chidwick – 713.66 (+4)
- Byron Kaverman – 666.74 (NR)
- Ben Zamani – 648.67 (-3)
- Taylor Paur – 638.17 (-1)
- Scott Seiver – 630.96 (-6)
- Bryn Kenney – 606.38 (-5)
- Tom Marchese – 604.20 (-5)
- Nick Pupillo – 566.70 (-4)
- Jason Wheeler – 552.28 (-3)
- Jason Mercier – 541.00 (NR)
- Aleksandr Denisov – 540.06 (NR)
- Max Pescatori – 536.55 (NR)
Latest posts by Lance Bradley (see all)
- Bated Breath: Daniel Negreanu On the Verge of the November Nine - July 14, 2015
- Roommates Chad Power and Chris Brand Sharing Main Event Success - July 13, 2015
- Sports Reporter Jeff Platt Back in the WSOP Main Event Spotlight - July 11, 2015
- In For a Penny: Tommy Yates Hopes to Keep WSOP Main Event Run Going - July 11, 2015
- Akash Malik Hoping to Represent India Come November - July 10, 2015