Day 2 of the 2014 Aussie Millions Main Event started with hope for hundreds of poker players, but by the time the chip bags came out less than 20 percent of the starting field remained.
Three players managed to crack the 500,000 chip mark by the end of Level 13. Late pushes by Phillip Willcocks (510,600) and Sorel Mizzi (507,100) earned them the top two spots, followed by Gareth Dwyer (503,600) and Day 1 chipleader Martin Rowe (463,900).
Just 109 players made it through to the end of the day, but there’s no lack of star power among this group – John Juanda (373,800), Scott Seiver (361,500), Antonio Esfandiari (349,800), Eoghan O’Dea (345,500) and Jonathan Duhamel (333,700) are among the top stacks in the field.
It doesn’t stop there either, with recent EPT Prague champion Julian Track, Craig McCorkell, Liv Boeree, Erik Seidel, Martin Jacobson, Aaron Lim, Jake Balsiger, Mike Watson, Jason Mercier, Jeff Rossiter, Annette Obrestad, Marco Johnson, Richard Yong and Paul Newey still in the mix.
After the last few stragglers made their way into the tournament at the start of play Wednesday, the field reached 668 players, the best turnout for an Aussie Millions Main Event since 2011. The last 72 players will make the money, eight more than 2013, and each of those players will get at least AU$15,000. Players finishing 10th through 12th will each receive AU$100,000, with payouts escalating all the way to AU$1.6 million for the winner. The final table payouts are as follows:
Day 3 will commence at 12:15 pm local time (8:15 pm EST) and they’ll play through the money bubble with six levels of play on the schedule. When the field is reduced to 36 players, tables will transition from eight-handed play to six-handed.
2014 Aussie Millions Main Event – End of Day 2 Chip Counts
- Phillip Willcocks – 510,600
- Sorel Mizzi – 507,100
- Gareth Dwyer – 503,600
- Martin Rowe – 463,900
- Andrew Phaedonas – 410,400
- Eng Heng Chang – 374,300
- John Juanda – 373,800
- Florian Bussman – 369,200
- Darren Rabinowitz – 368,000
- Scott Seiver – 361,500
Latest posts by Tim Fiorvanti (see all)
- Things Are Getting Real for Joe McKeehen on the Thunderdome Stage - July 14, 2015
- Justin Schwartz Seeks End to Dark Days with Deep Main Event Run - July 14, 2015
- Pierre Neuville Lives Post-Retirement Poker Dreams to the Fullest - July 13, 2015
- Moneymaker Legend Grows as Bruce Peery Takes WSOP Main Event Lead - July 12, 2015
- Justin Bonomo Chips Up, Busts His Friends Deep in WSOP Main Event - July 12, 2015