The BLUFF Power Rankings look a little bit different than they did a few weeks ago but, buoyed by a career year in 2013, Daniel Negreanu remains in the top spot to start 2014.
Negreanu doesn’t have anywhere near as big a lead as he had just a few weeks ago, though, as Joe Kuether is quickly charging towards the top. Kuether, who matches his best position ever in the BLUFF Power Rankings this week after moving up two spots, won a $5,000 side event at the PCA to earn his points.
Vanessa Selbst also returns to the top five this week after a tremendous performance of her own at the PCA. After finishing third in the $100,000 Super High Roller and making a deep run in the Main Event, where she finished 42nd, Selbst played the $25,000 High Roller to close out the series. After winning that tournament in 2013, Selbst narrowly missed out on a repeat, finishing third yet again.
Ole Schemion put together a similar run to Selbst’s, finishing seventh in both of the High Rollers and cashing in the Main Event to climb two spots in the Power Rankings to sixth, just behind Selbst on the list.
Ari Engel’s final table in a side event late in the series at EPT Prague helped to propel him nine spots to 11th, but some of that had to do with factors out of his control. A number of big PCA cashes lost value from the last two years as they crossed the threshold this week, allowing Engel to jump and four new players to take spots in the top 20.
Mike McDonald narrowly missed his second EPT title, but he earned over $1 million for his second place finish in the PCA Main Event. That brings him all the way up to 14th, with Matt Salsberg (16th), Jeremy Ausmus (18th) and Steve O’Dwyer (20th) also gaining ground.
That left four players lying out in the cold. Martin Finger was 12th to end 2013, but fell to 23rd as an EPT Prague side event win from late 2012 and a runner-up finish in an Aussie Millions side event in early 2013 passing the one year mark and losing half their value. The biggest fall of the week belonged to Jonathan Duhamel, who went from 14th all the way down 42nd after his big run at the 2012 PCA passed the two year mark.
Shannon Shorr and Scott Seiver also fell out of the Power Rankings Top 20 this week.
BLUFF Power Rankings (As of January 18)
- Daniel Negreanu – 1,616.14 (-)
- Joe Kuether – 1,539.50 (+2)
- Marvin Rettenmaier – 1,512.79 (-1)
- David Peters – 1,422.80 (-1)
- Vanessa Selbst – 1,399.53 (+5)
- Ole Schemion – 1,330.80 (+2)
- Philipp Gruissem – 1,314.05 (-2)
- Mike Watson – 1,297.35 (-1)
- Will Failla – 1,282.231 (-3)
- Dan Smith – 1,252.14 (-1)
- Ari Engel – 1,107.97 (+9)
- Noah Schwartz – 1,086.19 (+1)
- Ravi Raghavan – 1,058.58 (-2)
- Mike McDonald – 1,051.81 (NR)
- Aaron Massey – 1,050.34 (-)
- Matt Salsberg – 1,024.18 (NR)
- Paul Volpe – 1,021.26 (+2)
- Jeremy Ausmus – 1,006.67 (NR)
- Jan Bendik – 999.13 (-2)
- Steve O’Dwyer – 994.81 (NR)
Dropped from Rankings: Martin Finger (12th), Jonathan Duhamel (14th), Shannon Shorr (16th), Scott Seiver (18th)
Latest posts by Tim Fiorvanti (see all)
- Things Are Getting Real for Joe McKeehen on the Thunderdome Stage - July 14, 2015
- Justin Schwartz Seeks End to Dark Days with Deep Main Event Run - July 14, 2015
- Pierre Neuville Lives Post-Retirement Poker Dreams to the Fullest - July 13, 2015
- Moneymaker Legend Grows as Bruce Peery Takes WSOP Main Event Lead - July 12, 2015
- Justin Bonomo Chips Up, Busts His Friends Deep in WSOP Main Event - July 12, 2015