The names in BLUFF’s Poker Player Power Rankings have proven to be consistent, but their positioning in the past week has been similar to a game of musical chairs. With the conclusion of Season X of the World Poker Tour and the commencement of the 2012 World Series of Poker, players have an abundance of chances to make power moves. The week’s highlights include a new player in the top spot for the first time in a long time, a female player rising, and a Mizrachi emerging in the Power Rankings.
On the eve of the WSOP, Marvin Rettenmaier beat Philippe Ktorza to win the WPT Championship. Not only did the victory nearly match Marvin’s previous lifetime earnings, but it also caused him to leap to the top of the Power Rankings, surpassing Will Failla and Jonathan Duhamel, the current BLUFF Player of the Year leader.
The other significant move inside the top 10 is Venessa Selbst’s jump from 10th to sixth with her final table appearance in the opening $1,500 No Limit Hold’em event of the 2012 WSOP. Steve O’Dwyer and Bertrand “Elky” Grospellier flip-flopped positions to now be fourth and fifth respectively while the rest of the top 10 slid a spot back because of Selbst.
The back end of the top 20 consisted of Daniel Negreanu and Andrew Badecker rising considerably and on the doorstep of the top 10. Negreanu’s final table appearance in the $1,500 Pot Limit Hold’em event awarded him 71.06 points, enough to land in 11th place. Coming in fast in Negreanu’s rear view mirror is Badecker, who finished in third and just ahead of Selbst in that opening No Limit Hold’em event. Badecker’s finish netted him 126.5 points, propelling him past seven people before settling in 12th behind Negreanu.
Notable names Eugene Katchalov, Pius Heinz, Jason Mercier, and Elio Fox highlight the rest of the top 20. Matthew Waxman sinks five spots in the rankings while Michael Mizrachi soars into the top 20 in style. Mizrachi accumulated over 200 points in a span of 10 days by final tabling the WPT Championship and the Seven-card Stud Hi-Lo WSOP event.
Here is the list of the current top 20 in the BLUFF Poker Player Power Rankings:
( ) – Change in Position
- (+2) Marvin Rettenmaier – 1,580.58
- (-) Will Failla – 1,384.82
- (-2) Jonathan Duhamel – 1,380.38
- (+1) Stephen O’Dwyer – 1,294.13
- (-1) Bertrand Grospellier – 1,237.91
- (+4) Vanessa Selbst – 1,148.92
- (-1) Shawn Buchanan – 1,140.49
- (-1) Chris Moorman – 1,084.83
- (-1) Ben Lamb – 1,073.18
- (-1) Sam Trickett – 1,032.70
- (+3) Daniel Negreanu – 1,016.53
- (+7) Andrew Badecker – 1, 014.55
- (-2) Eugene Katchalov – 991.57
- (-2 ) Pius Heinz – 971.79
- (-) Elio Fox – 943.85
- (-) Oleksii Kovalchuk – 922.57
- (-) Jason Mercier – 917.87
- (-5) Matthew Waxman – 917.39
- (NR) Michael Mizrachi – 909.45
- (-1) Philipp Gruissem – 901.48
Latest posts by Austin Hannon (see all)
- WSOP Fantasy: Team Mercier Wins Top Prize in Negreanu $25K League - July 22, 2012
- WSOP Mid-Day: Main Event Anticipation Builds as Final Events Wind Down - July 6, 2012
- WSOP Fantasy: Team Mizrachi in Lead as WSOP Reaches Final Stretch - July 5, 2012
- WSOP Mid-Day: Big One for One Drop Nears Conclusion, $10K Six-Max Begins - July 3, 2012
- WSOP Mid-Day: Big One for One Drop Highlights Day Full of Hold’em - July 2, 2012