After one of the busiest weeks so far in the 2014 BLUFF Player of the Year race, it was time to catch our collective breath before the poker world dives head first into the busiest part of the year.
There were still a few changes near the top, including some minor movement from current second fiddle Mike McDonald. While McDonald didn’t have much to show for the majority of the series at EPT Vienna, he did manage a cash in a €1,000 Turbo Bounty side event to tack a few extra points onto his overall score and close the gap between himself and leader Dominik Panka.
Vienna was the also the driver behind the two biggest moves of the week. Aussie Millions Main Event champion Ami Barer cashed twice in Vienna, including a final table appearance in a big €2,000 side event. In a field of 319 Barer took fourth, which was enough to send him rocketing up nine spots to fifth in this week’s POY standings.
Oleksii Khoroshenin had the week of his life in Vienna, taking down the EPT Main Event for $797,366 – the biggest cash of his career by far. Khoroshenin had two previous cashes at EPT Deauville back in January and, combined with his EPT Vienna victory, the Ukranian pro debuts in 11th in the 2014 BLUFF POY race – the only player to join the top 20 this week.
With Khoroshenin’s appearance in the top 20, somebody had to drop off the list. The player this week just so happens to be Vanessa Selbst, and considering all of the tournament action on tap for the next few weeks there’s a good chance this fall will be a brief one.
2014 BLUFF Player of the Year Standings (As of April 2)
- Dominik Panka – 667.04 (-)
- Mike McDonald – 646.00 (-)
- James Carroll – 467.60 (-)
- Mike Leah – 443.55 (-)
- Ami Barer – 401.73 (+9)
- Eugene Katchalov – 401.40 (-1)
- James Calderaro – 371.00 (-1)
- Dylan Wilkerson – 365.05 (-1)
- Jacob Schindler – 364.20 (-1)
- Fabian Quoss – 359.10 (-1)
- Oleksii Khoroshenin – 349.55 (NR)
- Simon Deadman – 341.75 (-2)
- Joe Kuether – 336.70 (-2)
- Sotirios Koutoupas – 336.25 (-2)
- Jonathan Gaviao – 327.73 (-2)
- Nipun Java – 320.70 (-1)
- Alexander Condon – 318.04 (-1)
- Joseph Mckeehen – 311.49 (-1)
- Oliver Price – 309.00 (-1)
- Keven Stammen – 306.75 (-1)
Dropped from Rankings: Vanessa Selbst (20th)
Latest posts by Tim Fiorvanti (see all)
- Things Are Getting Real for Joe McKeehen on the Thunderdome Stage - July 14, 2015
- Justin Schwartz Seeks End to Dark Days with Deep Main Event Run - July 14, 2015
- Pierre Neuville Lives Post-Retirement Poker Dreams to the Fullest - July 13, 2015
- Moneymaker Legend Grows as Bruce Peery Takes WSOP Main Event Lead - July 12, 2015
- Justin Bonomo Chips Up, Busts His Friends Deep in WSOP Main Event - July 12, 2015