Steve O’Dwyer made a deep run in one of the oldest and most highly regarded tournaments of the year in Ireland to move up one spot in the 2015 BLUFF Player of the Year race, but he was an outlier in an historically quiet week.
O’Dwyer finished 15th in the PaddyPower Poker Irish Open Main Event, earning himself enough points to push past Anthony Zinno into third place. The rest of the top 20 remained completely static, leaving Dzimtry Urbanovich in a lead that got just a little more precarious with O’Dwyer’s jump.
Things were so quiet in the tournament world this week that just one other player in the top 50 earned even a single point. Michael Wang, who finished third in the Irish Open Main Event, squeaked into that group in 44th. His most significant results before that run include a ninth place finish in the WPT Borgata Winter Poker Open in January and another ninth place finish in an EPT Malta prelim that drew significant numbers.
There’s unlikely to be another week that’s as quiet in the months to come. The last two Main Tour events of Season XIII are set to begin within a week, with the $5 million guaranteed Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown and the WPT Championship – which follows just days after – each likely to offer some big prizes and big POY points.
When you add in the EPT Grand Final and all of the big tournaments set for that series, there will be plenty of action that will quickly lead into the 2015 World Series of Poker at the end of May.
2015 BLUFF Player of the Year Standings (as of April 8)
- Dzmitry Urbanovich – 605.13 (-)
- Nick Petrangelo – 601.74 (-)
- Steve O’Dwyer – 561.56 (+1)
- Anthony Zinno – 544.50 (-1)
- Taylor Paur – 524.14 (-)
- Tom Marchese – 470.00 (-)
- Scott Seiver – 432.16 (-)
- Jose Montes – 427.25 (-)
- Atanas Kavrakov – 422.59 (-)
- Ivan Luca – 420.20 – (-)
- Stephen Chidwick – 417.88 (-)
- Joe Kuether – 417.50 (-)
- Yuguang Li – 409.00 (-)
- Jean Montury – 406.32 (-)
- Andreas Samuelsson – 373.00 (-)
- Kevin Schulz – 360.00 (-)
- Pratyush Buddiga – 353.80 (-)
- Alexander Trevallion – 331.60 (-)
- Marc Etienne McLaughlin – 328.30 (-)
- Sorel Mizzi – 311.28 (-)
Dropped from Rankings:
Latest posts by Tim Fiorvanti (see all)
- Things Are Getting Real for Joe McKeehen on the Thunderdome Stage - July 14, 2015
- Justin Schwartz Seeks End to Dark Days with Deep Main Event Run - July 14, 2015
- Pierre Neuville Lives Post-Retirement Poker Dreams to the Fullest - July 13, 2015
- Moneymaker Legend Grows as Bruce Peery Takes WSOP Main Event Lead - July 12, 2015
- Justin Bonomo Chips Up, Busts His Friends Deep in WSOP Main Event - July 12, 2015