After nearly six years in the bwin.party portfolio, the World Poker Tour has new ownership. Ourgame, a social gaming company out of Beijing, has purchased WPT Enterprises Inc. for $35 million US.
“World Poker Tour is unquestionably the global leader in organizing world-class poker events, and we are very proud to acquire one of the world’s greatest brands,” said Frank Ng, Ourgame CEO “WPT, with Ourgame as its new owner, will continue to expand its already impressive global presence, bringing poker and gaming entertainment to cities and homes around the world via television broadcasts, mobile devices, card tables, and more.”
The WPT was purchased by bwin.party in 2009 for $12.3 million plus some revenue sharing. The WPT and Ourgame first announced a partnership in late 2014 that would have seen the two companies work together on events and marketing opportunities in Asia and was heavily involved in the WPT National China at MGM Grand Sanya Resort.
“Having already established an exciting partnership with Ourgame, a high growth company led by an enthusiastic group that is fully invested in the global growth of the sport of poker, we are delighted to now become a fully-integrated member of the Ourgame family,” said WPT President & CEO Adam Pliska.
Ourgame has been in business since 1998 and raised over $100 million in their initial public offering last July. According to WPT staff there will be no changes to WPT front office staff or on-air product.
Latest posts by Lance Bradley (see all)
- Bated Breath: Daniel Negreanu On the Verge of the November Nine - July 14, 2015
- Roommates Chad Power and Chris Brand Sharing Main Event Success - July 13, 2015
- Sports Reporter Jeff Platt Back in the WSOP Main Event Spotlight - July 11, 2015
- In For a Penny: Tommy Yates Hopes to Keep WSOP Main Event Run Going - July 11, 2015
- Akash Malik Hoping to Represent India Come November - July 10, 2015