George Danzer remained in the lead in the 2014 World Series of Poker Player of the Year standings powered by BLUFF, but Brandon Shack-Harris improved his point total to move within striking distance of the lead. John Hennigan, William Givens and Jesse Martin joined the top ten spots with Series-defining performances.
Danzer improved his score just enough to keep ahead of Shack-Harris with a pair of small cashes. He took 48th in the $1,500 Ante Only event for 9 POY points and then 10 POY points for 44th place in the $3,000 Pot Limit Omaha Hi-Lo event. If not for those two scores, Danzer would have only had a 0.20 point lead.
Shack-Harris continued to be the story of the WSOP with huge score in the $50,000 Poker Players Championship. He finished runner-up for 252 POY points and $937,975. It was his third six-figure cash at the this year’s Series and he has one win, two runner-ups and one third place in his four cashes for $1,404,099.
Hennigan won his third career WSOP bracelet in the prestigious $50,000 PPC for 360.00 POY points and $1,517,767. He final tabled the 2013 PPC and finished in third place for $686,568. The win was his third cash of the summer – his first was a runner-up finish in a $1,500 No Limit Hold’em event for 161 POY points and $319,993.
Givens found himself in the rankings after an impressive back-to-back $1,000 NLHE final tables. His first final table run saw him finish in fourth place for $84,680 and 96.80 POY points and then he followed that up with a bracelet win for $306,634 and 220 POY points. Givens had two other cashes this WSOP with a 55th place finish in a $2,500 NLHE event and a 19th place finish in the $5,000 Six Max NLHE event.
Martin has had a steady WSOP with seven cashes to give him 532.88 total points. His largest single score was a third place finish in the $50,000 PPC for 180 POY points and $594,570. His Series has seen him cash in four different disciplines – NLHE, 8 Game Mix in the PPC, Dealer’s Choice and Seven Card Stud Hi-Lo.
WSOP Player of the Year Standings (as of Event #54)
- George Danzer – 745.20 (-)
- Brandon Shack-Harris – 726.00 (-)
- John Hennigan – 532.88 (NR)
- Justin Bonomo – 413.63 (-1)
- Brock Parker – 406.25 (-1)
- Richard Ashby – 400.05 (-1)
- Calvin Anderson – 398.20 (-1)
- William Givens – 367.30 (NR)
- JC Tran – 338.10 (-2)
- Jesse Martin – 337.00 (NR)
Dropped from Rankings: Kory Kilpatrick (8th), Jonathan Dimmig (9th), Alex Bilokur (10th)
Latest posts by Paul Oresteen (see all)
- Blake Bohn is Short Stacked in the Main Event but Long on Experience - July 14, 2015
- New Jersey Online Player Thomas Cannuli Deep in WSOP Main Event - July 13, 2015
- Andrew Moreno Believes He’s Headed for the November Nine - July 13, 2015
- Steve Gross Staying in the Moment Despite Playing for Millions - July 13, 2015
- Former National Champ Jonathan Hilton Inching Toward November Nine - July 12, 2015